Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Allergic??

My little Hana is currently 7 weeks old. I am (really2) sad to admit that I have not been exclusively breast fed Hana since 1 month old for certain reasons that I shall not discussed here. I would love for Hana to only receive her Mama's milk unfortunately I gave in and started supplementing her with Enfalac.. huhu..dengan penuh rasa sedih dan kesalnye :-(. I feel like a failure for not being able to provide the best for my baby but I believe my decision was called for. Well, let's not be sad here kay..

Anyways, Hana has been having skin problems since day 2 of life. She probably got it from me.. remember PUPP incident??.. It started of as harmless erythema toxicum on the cheek but later on the rashes had spread to both her earlobes, eyebrows and even around the lips.

It did appear like a benign skin condition but my ego tercabar sungguh when my bibik said to me "Nggak mau bawak Hana jumpa doktor? Kulitnya tak baik2".. I was like, "Hellooooo, I am a doctor and children's illness is my field of interest, okay !! Macam tak percaya kat aku plak. I should be able to diagnose this. Easy peasy, it's just miliaria crystalina / rubra and seborrheic dermatitis." Her statement was an insult to my intelligence.



But then again, this is my daughter that we are talking about and when it comes to your own blood, the feeling of insecurity quickly sets in. Hmm, kan I ada boss pediatrician :-) Nak pegi to my working place dari Bangi punye la jauh so I emailed him along with Hana's picture for 2nd opinion and true enough, my diagnosis was right.. yayyy.. just apply hydrocortisone cream and aquous cream and it will all go away..

NOT! Hana's rashes persist till 2 days ago when it got red and itchy that it disturbed her sleep. She also developed loose stool and her bum apperaed slightly red. I was in shock with my inability to diagnose this very commom skin problem earlier, it was ECZEMA!!! How can I missed it, duhhh.. Hana was having eczema, diarrhea, colic and flatulence. It all fit the description of Cow's milk allergy though I don't have any family history of allergy or atopy. So poor little Hana, I have been indirectly causing her to suffer by feeding her susu lembu. Dahla fail to exclusively BF dia, dapat plak masalah alahan.

Some children who are allergic to cow's milk are allergic to soy milk too. So, now I have started Hana on Nestle Nan Ha 1 Pro (partially hydrolized milk) and surprisingly after 1 day, her eczematous skin has much improved, there's no more redness or itchiness. Her skin is still a bit dry so I applied aquous cream cream as often as I can. Her diarrhea has resolved. Previously she poo pooed about 5-6 times soft to watery stool but as today, she only passed motion twice, with normal stool consistency.


So, from now on, Hana will be on hypoallergenic formula so does my future kids...


4 comments:

Amira said...

Yam...my girl pun ada Erythema toxicum .....until now ! The paed at SJMC kata it will come away tp still ada those red patches...on her face. The patches come and go...kejap ada kat pipi...then hilang...lepas tu ada kat dagu. Rasenya tak gatal...Rizqin ok jer...cuma agak funny la..kejap ada merah...kejap hilang...

chat-huant said...

Mahal susu tu. No choice. Kat UK, depa guna fully hydrolysed formula coz CMPI is so common.

Mrs Ahmad.. said...

Dr Wong,we drs only get 20% discount from retail price! Yes, HA it is expensive. I tried again introducing regular formula and her eczema comes back. So, i don't think i need to do stool for reducing sugar to confirm that she has CMPI. Anyways, fully hydrolysed fromula tastes yuckky!
Amira, probably it may not be erythema toxicum but instead she might have miliaria rubra. it is just benign skin condition. Not itchy and will resolve on its own. So dun worry.

Anonymous said...

ALAHAI BARU JADIK DOCTOR...DH BUNYIK CAM BERLAGAK SGT NYE..PERGH BLUM JADIK PAKAR KOTT

'challenged my intelligence'..bagai

ingatlah Anugerah itu adalah sekadar pinjaman di dunia ni..