Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Day 1: Landed

Assalamualaikum wbt..

I am now blogging live from United Kingdom. 

My first day here was terrible!! First and foremost, it was a dreaded 13 hours flight with poor in-flight entertainment facility and impolite cabin crews. Luckily my medical discussion with Alya for almost 3 hours terasa perjalanan lagi cepat. Soon after we landed at London Heathrow Airport, I quickly purchased an international sim card via a vending machine. It turned out to be so difficult to use. I was only able to make phone calls after repeatedly reading the manual and to date, I still haven't figure out how to send text messages! I wish I can ditch this one and just buy another simpler O2 sim card but I had to remind myself again and again that I have already paid 30 pounds (RM150) for it!

I had to totter around with 6 kg of stuffs in my backpack and another 20kg in my luggage, changing 2 underground tubes and another train to Southend.  It was not a good experience at all as there was no elevator or escalator for us to move around the stations! We practically have to help each other, mula2 both of us carry her luggage up and then it was my turn. Let me tell you that it was more than 5 flights of staircase that we had to ascend!! One helpful chap did assist us and that's about it. We almost sprained our back!

Rain greeted us on our first day on the Queen's land. It was cold, the sky was grey and gloomy. We reached Southend at round 10pm, that is around 4am Malaysia time. That means, we have travelled for almost 18 hours! 

Alhamdulillah, I am thankful that we have each other. I don't think we have made this far it if we were on our own, seriously! We almost drop down and cry, partly because we were homesick and missed our love ones a lot, secondly we were unwell and down with flu and thirdly, we were just darn tired. Nak menimba ilmu ni kira berjihad juga kan. I guess nothing comes easy bila nak berjihad..


Waiting for C2C train to SE. Apparently we waited at the wrong terminal.
OMG, there were lost of mishaps but luckily we hop on the right train after all..
See all the heavy luggages!
That's why you can visualize my grim look all plastered on my face!

Alya, trying to figure out her HTC phone.
We were so exhausted..
Anyways, sampai2 kat Southend, at 10pm, it already appeared like a dead town. All shops are closed except for bars! There was no taxi around the train station and again, we walked aimlessly down the road, with the hope to find a cab. Luckily, we encountered 2 very nice young brits who contacted a taxi driver. Alhamdulillah, in 5 minutes, the taxi who is an Iranian brought us to the Hospital switchboard to collect our key before we headed to Balmoral Road where our hostel is.

Did I tell you that more than half of people that I encounter in London were bukan orang puteh? Majority were Indians/Pakistani/Bangladeshi and few Asians. Southend is a bit different. Banyak locals than non local though. Terasa macam kat Malaysia pun ada as ramai penduduk from Indonesia, Myanmar etc kan? So in a way, Malaysia and UK are quite similar :)

It is already day 2 in UK and I'm jet lagged, still -___-  It is 1am in Malaysia and 5pm in UK. My daughter and my husband are surely fast asleep. I miss them terribly and just chatted with my loved ones few hours ago. I virtually kissed my daughter on her cheek sans her wonderful smell :( I am grateful to whoever that created Skype though.

 I'm yawning as I type. I miss Malaysia but I would rather be here than to be oncall :)

Cheers mate! Till we meet again. 

No comments: