Sunday, May 29, 2011

It's deliciozo!

My hubby will be spending his final week at his current work place before he makes a jump to another automotive company in Rawang. So he requested me to cook Shepherds Pie for his colleagues and his badminton playmates sebagai tanda farewell. 


My first attempt last week turned out okay tapi taklah sedap sangat hingga menjilat jari. So I improvised here and there, asked from the sifu and walah, the outocome was something really scrumptiously yummy! Tak percaya? Tanya my hubby and my tummy, they'll never lie when it comes to good food.


Half gone in less than 10 minutes!


I'm not a great cook like some of you out there and I rarely cook at home unless my cravings forced me to. When it comes to Malay cuisine, I am hopeless siap call Mami kat umah mintak direction masak. But thank God Western food is easy,  and lucky me, my kampung borned husband also loves it!


Nak recipe Shepherds Pie? I can't really give you the exact sukatan or measurement since I ni selalu tukar2. Tak cukup masin, I tambah garam, tak cukup rasa masam, I'll add some tomato paste and etc. But I can roughly give you the recipe that I follow. I'll update you on the recipe on Tuesday kay as I need to go to sleep coz esok oncall huhuhu..


*************************************************************************************************
Shepherds aka Cottage Pie..
from Periplus Mini Cookbooks on Classic Essential Potatoes
tapi I adjust skit bahan2 dia ikut citarasa sendiri


Ingredients:


For the filling:
2 tbs butter
3 tbs olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic (not in the original recipe)
1 stick celery and carrot, finely diced
1 whole tomato and capsicum
(not in the original recipe but you can add any kind of vege that your family loves)
1 can of button mushroom, finely chopped
1kg minced meat
1 tbs plain flour
1 cup of water
1 tsp thyme
2 tbs tomato paste
2 tsp brown sugar
(if you dont have it at home, using usual granulated sugar also tasted fine)
3 tbs worchestire sauce
(not in the recipe but I added it for some tangy taste)
salt and pepper to taste


For the topping
1 kg local potato, peeled and quartered
100gm butter
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of sour cream (my own version so that ada rasa masam2 ala2 Chillis skit)
Shredder Cheddar Cheese
salt and pepper to taste


1) Melt the butter and olive oil. Cook the onion over low heat for 5 minutes, then add garlic, cook another 1 minute until everything turned golden.
2) Add beef and let it boil. Add flour then add thyme, tomato paste, brown sugar and water. Then reduce the heat, and simmer, covered for 50-60 minutes.
2) Half way, add  carrot and let it slow cooked.
3) Later, put in all the vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes.
4) Towards the end of the cooking time, remove the lid to reduce the liquid to a thick sauce.
5) Season with salt and pepper
6) Transfer to an overproof casserole dish. Preheat the oven to moderate 180degrees.
7) To make the topping, boil the potatoes in salted water for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
8) Drain, then add butter (preferably chilled), milk, sour cream, salt and pepper.
9) Mash until smooth and fluffy
10) Spoon evenly over the meat and fluff up into peaks with a fork.
11) Sprinkle shredded cheddar on top.
12) Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until top is golden.


* Must eat when it is hot. You'll find it very deliciozo!!!

No comments: