Thursday, August 19, 2010

Priceless moments..

4th Ramadhan..

I started to have contraction from that morning it self and went to see Dr Idora for check up (refer to prev post). Balik je from Pantai Bangsar, my husband dah tanya
"Tak nak bukak puasa? You are starting to have contraction pain. I'm sure Mxx hilang selera makan once the pain becomes more frequent. Abang rasa berdebar2, I have a feeling that we are having a baby tonite." But then, I wasn't keen to break my fast but what my husband said was true. So we headed to Burger King drive thru for a bite of Swiss Mushroom burger before going back to our house in Bukit Jelutong.

I lied in bed the whole afternoon as the pain was increasing in frequency and intensity. I was supposed to be admitted at night for induction of labour but looking at how the contraction was progressing, I was sure that I did not require prostin after all.

My dad called few times and advised us to go to PMC ASAP. After much deliberation, my hubby and I decided to make a move around 6pm. To avoid the traffic along the Federal Highway and the congestion of cars heading to Bazar Ramadhan @ Stadium Shah Alam, we opt for NKVE and NPE instead. Labour room, here i come!




Arriving sharp at 6.15pm, I was immediately wheeled to the labour room and vaginal examination revealed that I was 3cm dilated! Mak aii.. at that time sakitnya contraction mmg tak terkata!!!! Sebab tak tahan sgt, I told the staff nurse that I need epidural immediately. But the nurse said, my contraction was only 2 in 10 minutes, not strong and I should give myself another hour. Fine, I tried to walk around in my room, in and out of toilet and baring kiri dan kanan to distract myself but seriously, the pain became too unbearable! Rasanya nak terpatah tulang my hubby sbb I squeezed his hands too hard.
I finally gave in, called the nurse again and requested for epidural STAT. Unfortunately, the anaesthesiologist only came 2 hours after and this particular staff nurse told the dr (in front of me!) that my contraction was not that intense and it was just me who could not stand the pain! What the heck? I was so pissed off with her and it's me who is paying for it, not you!!! Bengang betul la....

Luckily the anaes was nice. The medication worked like magic. I felt numb from my waist down and cuoldn't even feel any flinch of pain at all except for on and off hardening of abdomen during contraction. Shortly after that, all my family members arrived (after iftar at Museum Islam) and only mommy was allowed in to see me. The first thing that I asked her, " Sedap tak bukak puasa kat Muzium Islam?" I felt touched coz my mom said this year was not as meriah as last year coz me and hubby plus few of my siblings (Eida and Rasheeq) couldn't come. So makanan pun rasa lain macam aje...

Dr Idora finally came around 11.30pm. CTG so far was reactive (means baby's heart beat is okay) and my contraction was good (tell that to the nurse just now!). VE showed that my os was already 4cm dilated and she decided to do artificial rupture of membrane (ARM). She showed me her glove and told me with a serious face, " Maryam, it's thick meconium la." I was post date and the stress of contraction would've caused my baby to poo poo. I kept quiet and being a Paeditaric Dr, that was my biggest fear, that my baby has passed meconium (not light, but THICK!) in utero. Should the meconium entered the lungs, it can cause meconium aspiration syndrome (MAS) and from my limited 4 years experience, I've witnessed few newborn babies died of this illness in my NICU. Nauzubillah.... I wish my friends and my boss were there to stand by for my baby. So, I told Dr Idora, " that means kena caeser la ye?" and she said yes and the only reassurance that I had was that my baby's heart beat was still okay.

I was preped and wheeled to the OT immediately for emergency LSCS. It was really cold and I was shivering thru out the operation. Luckily, my hubby was there to keep me company. I pray to Allah and hope that my baby come out well. After much anticipation, I finally heard the OT staff announced loudly, " Baby is out at 12:29am!" Few seconds after that, I heard the best sound in the world, my baby cried! Alhamdulillah.... Not long after that, the nurse showed my baby to me and as I first layed my eyes on her, I immediately fell in love.



My god, after 9 months of being pregnant, with all the misery, the back pain and swollen leg and skin rash, it all comes to this precious moment...


Hana Khadeeja, so alert even on day 1 of life!

My shout to the world: my baby girl was safely delivered on August 15th, 2010 at 12:29am!
To Dr Idora and the team.. baby Hana says tq very much!!!

No comments: