Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Newborn essentials checklist

As much as I hate 3rd trimester, my only consolation would be going out for a SHOPPING SPREE!! I couldn’t get enough of buying for our lil princess that Ahmad and I started shopping as early as 27 weeks!! We have to get practically everything since we are first time parents. Now, I realized that baby’s stuff are very pricy and can cause quite a significant dent in my pocket.

Below is a newborn checklist which helps in making my shopping task much easier.

1) CLOTHING
How can I resist buying all the pretty pink and purple clothes for my lil girl?

  • 2 hats – I bought 1 from Pumpkin Patch coz it was too darn cute and another hat which was included in an ‘8 piece set by Mothercare’ which I found at Reject Shop!
  • 3 pairs of socks/booties
  • 4 pants and shirts – I didn’t get that many as newborns usually put on wt and outgrow their clothing size very fast.
  • 4 tummy binders
  • 4 coveralls – to wear at night / during cold weather. Mothercare do sell 3 cute coveralls for a mere RM 100. To save more, I bought them during Mothercare sale for 30% + additional 10% off for VIP card holder.
  • > 10 rompers – there are so many branded ones out there that are quite cheap (as they are rejected items or out of season) but still maintained their quality such as Gap, Osh Kosh and Carters. I tried to get variable sizes mostly for 3-6 months and 6-12 months.
  • I had purchased a SUPER adorable dress from Mothercare that I plan to use as baju raya for my baby (is it too soon?). I also intend to buy a lacy gown from ‘Lovely Lace’ for my baby’s aqiqah later.

    (I’ll still be in my confinement period during Hari Raya, which explains why I shop everything beforehand hehehe)


2) BATH TIME

  • 2 hooded towels – I need to buy everything in pairs (1 for use in case the other one ends up in the washing machine)
  • Several washcloths – it usually comes in a pack of 3s or 5s
  • Miniature baby toiletries – I'll probably get the bigger ones as a gift later..
  • 1 pink baby tub
  • 1 set of nail clippers and comb
  • 1 bottle of baby lotion – I’m sure babies love to be massaged


3) FEEDING

  • 1 quality breast pump – it was a BIG issue between me and my husband. We were short of $$ so initially I did not plan to get one. My sis promised to lend hers as she still had her 7 year old Medela mini electric BP. Unfortunately, it was already broken and after much consideration, I’ve decided to invest on the mother of all BP: The Medela free style (comes with 4 Medela storage bottles, City Style carrying bag, one ice pack and a cooler bag) which cost me a whopping 1.6K! I determine to exclusively BF my baby for at least the first 6 months and with my hectic schedule, the FS fits my need with its much talk-about advanced technology. We’ll see how my milk production later and I shall update you on this!


Anyways, I saw on E! recently that Kimora Lee Simmons (yes, the I’m a mom, a model and a moghul) is also using Medela FS!!!


  • 3 BPA free bottles – There are too many brands to mention but I hope I’ll only start using it before I get back to work. Anyways, I bought Avent feeding bottles but I personally like Tommee Tippe’s decorative pink bottle. Don't you think they are really cute?


  • 30 BPA free milk storage bottles. I purchased my Bumblee bee bottles online during www.enjoybreastfeed.com mid year sale. My friend (I took a lot of advice from them) did mention about milk storage bags as they are less space consuming.
  • 1 bottle brush
  • 1 bottle drying rack/wash rack
  • 1 bottle warmer – I bought Little bean’s multi purpose warmer.. But my friend said it is much convenient not to mention faster, to just warm up your EBM in a bowl / cup filled with hot water.
  • 2 bibs – to wear once the baby starts on bottle feeding as to avoid frequent change of outfit due to spill / regurgitation.
  • 5 nursing bras – I only have Autumz Bamboo bra which I started wearing since my 3rd trimester, but my colleague did recommend tops from fabulous mom. I might purchase one in the future just to give it a try.
  • Breast pads – disposable or washable? My friends (again..) said disposable ones are much easier unless you are wearing padded bra. I bought few boxes from Mothercare (1 box of 100s for RM 39, if I’m not mistaken..)
  • __ formula milk – hopefully I don’t need to buy one


4) TRAVELLING ITEMS

  • Stroller. I have been searching online and even asked the opinion of several sales assistance from different Mothercare stores on which stroller to buy. I need a sturdy one and at the same time reasonably priced. I love Quinny for it stylish appearance unfortunately it is way too bulky for my Honda Jazz. I was torn between these 2 brands: Mclaren or Peg Perego Classico. I finally settled for Mclaren Techno XT all black and thank god I saved almost 1K as it came as a present from my siblings for my baby. Thanks guys!

  • 1 car seat but I bought 2, one for my husband’s car and one for my car. Since I spent quite a hefty amount of cash on this travel items, I shall trained my baby to stay quietly in the car seat and enjoy the scenery.. I’m keeping my fingers tightly crossed.
  • 1 diaper bag
  • 1 baby carrier (front or sling). I bought a cheap one coz I prefer my baby to enjoy the stroller and not the carrier.
  • travel baby wipes case
  • __ car seat cover (if cold out) (optional)
  • __ umbrella stroller – I did not buy one coz I don’t find it useful unless you want to use the stroller outdoor (e.g during working out)


5) HEALTH

  • 1 thermometer
  • CPR guidelines – I think having a guideline alone is not practical unless you attend a CPR course and trained to perform one.
  • Pediatrician – you must have your favourite pediatrician’ contact number in case of emergency. I probably don’t need one as pediatricians are my boss.
  • Nasal aspirator
  • Saline nasal drops
  • Cotton gauze for use when cleaning umbilical stump and to clean her private area after she poops or shishi..
  • Detergent for bottles and baby's clothes

6) FOR THE NURSERY

  • Crib – I bought 2 sets. One set is placed at my mom’s house as I’m planning to spend my confinement time there and another one at home. It is up to you whether you should invest in this item. Some of my friends only used it for several months as their babies end up sleeping in between their Mommies and Daddies. I personally think that babies need to be trained to have their 40 winks in their own bed. Just like the Mat Sallehs where their lil ones spend the night in their own separate bed and room! I guess it’s easier said then done, especially when you are tired working moms and have to get up ever so often to nurse your small ones.

Few words of reminder, if you are too exhausted, DO NOT let your baby sleep next to you as it increased the risk for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)!

  • Changing table – IKEA and few online stores do sell one with the price around RM 300! It is not my top priority thing to buy at the moment though…
  • 1 trash can
  • 1 nursing chair to avoid backache while BF your baby
  • 1 monitor if you have a separate nursery room
  • 1 crib mobile – probably only comes into use when the baby is > 3 months old (that’s when the time the eyes are able to focus)
  • 1 nightlight
  • At least 2 crib sheets – I bought plain pink sheets at IKEA, RM 39 for the price of 2 which I think is reasonably priced!
  • 1 crib bumper, baby blankets and crib skirt – I get so excited to decorate our room as this is going to be our first born! So everything from the curtains to the beddings is either purple or pink!!
  • 1 waterproof mattress cover – I bought one from Bumblee Bee for RM 37. My friend said the item is a must have to prevent leaking onto the mattress.
  • 1 crib mattress
  • Diaper stacker – is a must if you are an organized person (which I’m not!)


7) DIAPERING

  • Diapers (either disposable or cloth)
  • Several bungkus of baby wipes
  • 1 tube of diaper cream to avoid nappy rash


8) OTHER ITEMS NICE TO HAVE WHEN BABY ARRIVES:

  • Photo frame – I’ll probably get it as a present later
  • 1 keepsake boxes and baby book – I bought one from MPH. It is obviously pink in colour and Ahmad and I document everything about my pregnancy, just like a journal but in a simpler presentation. We also keep the 3D and 4D USG CDs in the box.
  • Books on baby care and post-pregnancy care - the book below was recommended to me by a close friend.. I bought one and went through the topics. I do think it is useful especially for clueless parent like me.


I hope you have found this checklist helpful especially for ppl like my husband and I, first time parents. I agree, baby products are quite costly, thus, you need to prioritize on things to buy. Do talk to your mom, sisters and friends.. They do offer great advice.
Happy shopping!!

No comments: